Saturday, July 10, 2010

Tomorrow's a big day!

Gavin has decided to be baptized at church tomorrow. I have had those butterflies of anticipation all day. Those who know Gavin know that he's very literal. He acts based on reasoning most of the time. His journey to the decision to be baptized has been very exciting. It all started with a study he did during AWANA this year. He studied the story of Phillip and the Eunuch. That story opened a great dialog between Gavin and I about what baptizm is and what it's all about. The verses that he's learned at AWANA have sparked many questions. He also went to church camp which allowed him to have a week of fun (and a break from parents) while being surrounded by opportunities to learn about God's Word. The biggest moment, though, was around the table at my mom's house. A conversation we were having prompted Gavin to ask more questions. My sister, Amanda, teaches 5th grade, so she did a great job of talking with Gavin. Yesterday we met with the children's minister at church. Just listening to Gavin explain what was on his heart was moving. Despite his special needs, he has an understanding of things that is amazing. I am so blessed to be his mom (we don't like the word "step" around here). I'm one proud momma.

And now I must get to work. My house is still messy and company is on the way in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment